Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Copyrights are giving me a headache

This is something I just posted on Wikipedia, and I wanted to post it here as well:

I thought the fundamental purpose of a copyright was to prevent other individuals from making a profit on content that I create. If I want to copy something from a website to Wikipedia, like information about the CEO's and Board of Directors of publically owned corporations, I'm not making any money on it, Wikipedia is not making any money on it, and the company I'm getting the information from is not losing any money from it. If people don't want any information about you on the web, don't become a member of the board of directors of a public company, or a politician, or an artist, or whatever. And to relate this to Google, if their indexer can find information and not get in trouble for copying it into their search results, why would Wikipedia get in trouble for grabbing the information and creating links to it and from it to other articles on the site? We're putting up walls and protections to protect things that have no financial value, but have tremendous civil and social value if they are shared information. What's the point?!

No comments: